Re: Using dual to simulate a table

From: Stan Brown <stanb_at_panix.com>
Date: Fri, 28 Jul 2006 18:18:56 +0000 (UTC)

In <796kc2hnhbttfdmmoqmnehjf638e9ldtdh_at_4ax.com> Sybrand Bakker <postbus_at_sybrandb.demon.nl> writes:

>On Fri, 28 Jul 2006 13:02:21 +0000 (UTC), Stan Brown <stanb_at_panix.com>
>wrote:

>>I have a really old piece of (binary only) code that makes a call like
>>"select tstamp from tstamp where tstamp = 123456". I've always maintained a
>>table with a continuous sequence of numbers for this app but I would like
>>to be able to stop doing this.
>>
>>Isn't there a way I can create a view by the name tstamp that queries dual?
>>or a sequence, somehow. The query always contains the desired answer.
>>
>>This is on version 7 BTW.

>Just of out curiosity, why do you stick to a version which predates
>the Neanderthaler?
>I would say it wouldn't matter what you do, because you are on your
>own anyway.

Well, basicly because I'm under the impression that the (equally old) application that uses it probably can't connect to a newer version. I'd be willing to be corrected on that. And also the app won't run on any HP-UX version newer than 10.20, I suspect that limits my options on Oracl, no? Of course _I could_ build a nice new (say) Linux Oracle abckend machine.

But management _really_ does not want to spend money on this system :-(

>But woe, when you loose your job, and have to catch up with Oracle 9i
>(soon to be replaced) or 10g.

Fortunately (in this context) Oracle s not my day job :-

No sugestions as to the orignal question?

>--
>Sybrand Bakker, Senior Oracle DBA

neither liberty nor safety."
						-- Benjamin Franklin