Comparing two tables for differences

From: <mikeg13_at_gmail.com>
Date: 26 Jul 2006 10:13:52 -0700

In a convoluted way, I started a topic about trying to find the differences between two tables. I wanted to know the old and new values for the particular fields that were changed from one version of the table to another. Just wanted to pass along the news that it can be done. Another DBA pointed me to the following link, which turned out to be exactly what I needed...
http://www.oracle.com/technology/oramag/code/tips2004/012504.html. Thanks to Sanjay Ray for developing this script and Oracle for sharing it. Saved me a lot of headaches.

Just as an example of my problem... I want to compare yesterday's version of a table to today's version of the same table and I want to produce an "audit" of the changes that were made. I need to see the old and new values for any updates, as well as the key values used to identify the record. I also want to see any key values that were added or deleted since yesterday. While the script example at the link above needed a little tweaking to meet my specific needs, the logic used in the script was extremely useful. Hpoe this helps someone else.

Mike Received on Wed Jul 26 2006 - 12:13:52 CDT