Re: Creating a relationship between 2 tables

From: DA Morgan <damorgan_at_psoug.org>
Date: Tue, 25 Jul 2006 21:34:36 -0700

Brian Peasland wrote:

>>> Except if you want to work in Gov't.. This mentality (limited
>>> quality, more work) is what keeps developers there many years after
>>> they should have moved on.. Take it from someone who is witnessing it
>>> in real time!!
>>
>> Agreed. Then on the other hand the government employees all shrug
>> their shoulders and wonder why the tax payers want to lynch them.
>>

> Federal or state level? I work in the fed govt sector and pretty much
> all IT staff, including developers, are being replaced by contractors.
> It's much easier to get rid of a poorly performing contractor than a
> civil servant. Especially, when the contract's dollar value is partially
> determined by performance.
>

> Cheers,
> Brian

Sounds good but in the City of Seattle's IT it is a well known fact that they retain incompetent contractors because "they might have some knowledge that they can't afford to lose." Yeah! Knowledge on how to work the system. The problem most often is that IT management knows so little about IT they their most common reaction is fear and they act like a deer in the headlights: Frozen in place.

--
Daniel A. Morgan
University of Washington