Re: Creating a relationship between 2 tables

From: Andyza <andyza_at_webmail.co.za>
Date: 21 Jul 2006 03:58:10 -0700

> You design is horrible.

I know! That's how I inherited it! But gotta work with what we've got for now...

>Why is SYSTEMID the PK for students and not STUDENTID?

Because STUDENTID isn't guaranteed remain constant. And in some cases the STUDENTID might change over time. And some users might have more than one STUDENTID. It's used only for display purposes because users get a warm fuzzy feeling when they see it on reports...

> You have gone pseudokey happy.

Yeah! Is that a new drug?

>This looks like a homework assignment,

ROFLOreallyreallyL! Thank you. That made my day!

> Look up the UPDATE statement.
> (BIG HINT you will use a version that includes a subquery).

That's what I've done since I posted the original message - a "sub-subquery" in a subquery in an update statement. It's awful... I'll post some code and "re-explain" myself. Received on Fri Jul 21 2006 - 05:58:10 CDT