Re: to_char number format with optional decimal-point?

From: Martin T. <bilbothebagginsbab5_at_freenet.de>
Date: 21 Jul 2006 00:16:30 -0700

G Quesnel wrote:
> I don't have the answer to your question, but if you can not find the
> formating string then you could produce the desired result by adding a
> case structure around your to_char formatting. Something like ...
> <snip>
> Hopefully, someone else can come up with a formating string.

Thanks for your tip! Seems a pretty clean solution.

Let me state something that may spark some more response ;) ...

1.) It is *not* possible with the ORACLE to_char function (in version 9i2) to specify a number format model that will reproduce the default behaviour of the function w/o format model. 2.) It is, specifically, *not* possible to describe a number format model such that the decimal-point is not displayed if there are no decimals and is displayed if there are significant decimals.

Now - I do also *not* claim that this is the absolute truth, but it (sadly) will remain my truth until someone proves me wrong.

best,
Martin

p.s.: I guess in 10g there would be some really nice solution with a regexp :) Received on Fri Jul 21 2006 - 02:16:30 CDT