Re: Import Oracle DDL into Oracle Designer 9i?

From: Robbert van der Hoorn <removetheXinR.Xvanderhoorn_at_osait.nl>
Date: Thu, 20 Jul 2006 11:06:35 +0200

"Broons Bane" <newsgrouper_at_yahoo.com> wrote in message news:1153303444.126917.216380_at_m73g2000cwd.googlegroups.com...
> Sorry, you are right, I am a bit confused.
>
> When I log into Oracle 9i designer, is this essentially the physical
> schema and database that I am connecting to? If so, how do I view the
> physical database tables and selectively (or otherwise) import them
> into my designer repository?
>
> Regards
>

> Robbert van der Hoorn wrote:
> > "Broons Bane" <newsgrouper_at_yahoo.com> wrote in message
> > > Hi there, thanks for the reply.
> > >
> > > You can retrofit from the repository to entities, but I'm pretty sure
> > > there is on equivalent to what you are describing apart from the
> > > ill-documented import utility.

> > You are confusing two things here:
> > 1)creating table, view etc definitions from a database, which can be
done
> > with the Designer Database Generator (it's under the generate options)
and
> > 2) retrofitting table definitions to entities.
> >
> > For option 1), as Sybrand described, you connect to a database, select a
> > schema and create the table, view, package, sequence etc. definitions in
> > Designer.
> >
> > DMP files are used to import/export complete repositories or
applications
> > systems within Designer (hence from Designer to Designer).

Broons,

please don't top-post (this means: please put your reactions to posts on the bottom of a post or in-line). If you do top-post, some of the (best) guru's will not answer... And as you nay have noticed, this discussion is going to be a bit hard to be read....Ok?

When you log on to Designer, you log on to a so called repository database, which holds all the Designer projects. This is usually (and preferably) NOT the database for your developed software (tables, views, plsql etc). When you use the Design Editor, and generate the 'real' tables from your definitions, you will log on to the database you want to generate your tables to. Design Capture (which is in the menu of the Design Editor) works the same way.
If you do not have a Designer Repository installed, I would advise you to use JDeveloper for your Design capture, which is much easier to install (just unzip, ready!)

Robbert Received on Thu Jul 20 2006 - 04:06:35 CDT