Re: Problem to arrange a compress on the fly to an export

From: Mark D Powell <Mark.Powell_at_eds.com>
Date: 18 Jul 2006 06:44:37 -0700

Frank van Bortel wrote:
> etantonio_at_libero.it schreef:
>
> > Good Morning,
> > I need to arrange an export and at the same time compress the result,
> > I want to do this in a shell script, at the moment I use this
> >
> > exp sc/sc_at_ab1 PARFILE=exp_param.dat FILE=ciao.dmp LOG=ciaolog.txt
> > |compress &
> >
> > and I also have no result with the following form
> >
> > exp sc/sc_at_ab1 compress=y PARFILE=exp_param.dat FILE=ciao.dmp
> > LOG=ciaolog.txt
> >
> > Thanks for your help
> >
> > Antonio D'Ottavio
> > www.etantonio.it/en
>
> Do NOT use compress=y on the export command line as parameter - it will
> ruin your space allocations, not compress your generated output.
> What errors do you have?

Antonio, the exp parameter compress has to do with how Oracle calculates the initial extent size in table/index storage clauses. The default is "compress=y" and this results in Oracle calculating the initial extent as the full allocated size of the object which can cause problems when you try to import the file into test environments. I usually code an explicit compress=n so that if I use the export table definition and load it the table takles as little space as possible.

To compress the export file either export into a named pipe as another poster suggested and have the OS compress utility feed off the pipe or just write the file and run compress on it after the export operation completes.

HTH -- Mark D Powell -- Received on Tue Jul 18 2006 - 08:44:37 CDT