Re: Calling functions - NULL vs default

From: Martin T. <bilbothebagginsbab5_at_freenet.de>
Date: 18 Jul 2006 04:28:39 -0700

PhilHibbs wrote:
> In an Oracle function or procedure call, there can be parameters that
> have defaults, such as language code. If NULL is passed, this overrides
> the default. What I want to do is to create a table that mirrors the
> function's parameter list and call the function using the rows in that
> table, but I don't want to override defaults with NULLs. How can I do
> this? Is dynamically generating a function call the only way? Might
> this cause a significant performace hit, for instance if I were
> creating thousands of employees through the HRMS create_employee API?
>
> Phil Hibbs.

Hmm ... do you want a function that ignores NULL parameters (if NULL is passed or parameter is not passed, default value is used) or do you want a function with 'normal' default parameters? As I see it you can have a function that does one of both things, but not one(1) function that does both.

best,
Martin Received on Tue Jul 18 2006 - 06:28:39 CDT