Re: Oracle Designer: Connect string

From: Jens Lenge <spampot_at_gmx.net>
Date: 14 Jul 2006 01:40:40 -0700

sybrandb wrote:

> There is no difference in connection to sql*plus as compared with
> Designer, all Oracle products connect in the same fashion.

I am quite used to Oracle SQL Developer ("Raptor"). It does not ask for a connect string, but host id, port, and SID.

As this actually is the required information, I guess the "connect string" used by Designer must be composed of these parts.

> Could please start reading docs, instead of boring this forum to dead
> with your FAQS, for which you could easily find the answer, if you
> weren't so lazy?

I referred to the documentation and also asked Google but did not find the composition syntax. If you had followed this thread you would have noticed that I did also read the Network Blues blog I was directed to. While the blog does confirm that the above data is relevant for connecting to a remote database, it does not say how to compose the connect string that Designer asks for, at least if I did not miss it.

Sorry if you feel bored. If my question is a FAQ, it would have been enough to simply direct me to the URL of the FAQ of this group. If you do not want to answer, you may feel free to ignore my post. But please do not confuse being a newbie with laziness.

Jens Received on Fri Jul 14 2006 - 03:40:40 CDT