Re: Renaming primary and /or unique keys

From: Malcolm Dew-Jones <yf110_at_vtn1.victoria.tc.ca>
Date: 13 Jul 2006 12:13:09 -0800

Jens Lenge (spampot_at_gmx.net) wrote:
: Hello world,

: I discovered a strange behavior when renaming primary and/or unique
: keys of an existing table in Oracle 9i (or maybe it's rather normal
: than strange, and I am simply doing something wrong).

: Normally, creating a primary key or unique key constraint will
: automatically also create an index with the same name and reference.

: I have tried to rename an existing primary key and an existing unique
: key like that:

: alter table mytable rename constraint pk111 to pk_mytable_id;
: alter table mytable rename constraint uk222 to uk_mytable_name;

: While the two CONSTRAINTS now do have the new names, the corresponding
: INDICES still have the old names.

: How can I rename both the constraints AND the corrsponding indices?

: I cannot simply rename the indices to the new names (as the destination
: name is already used), and I also cannot delete them (as they enforce a
: primary resp. unique key). So how to go?

you could disable the constraint first and then change things and then reanable the constraint afterwards.

$0.10 Received on Thu Jul 13 2006 - 15:13:09 CDT