Re: complex update

From: Mark C. Stock <mcstockX_at_Xenquery>
Date: Tue, 11 Jul 2006 06:35:37 -0400

"Martin T." <bilbothebagginsbab5_at_freenet.de> wrote in message news:1152600735.068273.198020_at_75g2000cwc.googlegroups.com...
: utefan001_at_gmail.com wrote:
: > I have an update that is just not working. When I run it on the latest
: > oracle 9i release SQL Plus returns this error.
: >
: > 01732 "data manipulation operation not legal on this view"
: >
: > Note that NONE of the tables used below are views. I know I should
: > provide more details, but I should also get 3 hours of sleep tonight.
: >
: > update (
: > select jc.llm as foo, sum(act.cost_amt) bar
: > FROM prod.je_sub js,
: > ...
: >
:
: You are actually using a view here - an inline view that you are trying
: to update.
:
: > AND act.task_id = ' 3'
: > group by jc.llm)
: >
:
: As far as I know it is not possible to update a View (your inline view)
: that contains a group by clause.
:
: best,
: Martin
:

Martin's exactly right.

However, your set clause makes absolutely no sense -- to set the group by column to the sum column? Is that what you're actually doing?

++ mcs Received on Tue Jul 11 2006 - 05:35:37 CDT