PLSQL Question

From: ORA-DBA <art_at_chicagorsvp.com>
Date: 10 Jul 2006 08:20:17 -0700

Hi All,

Some developers here have tried to come up with a procedure where they can pass a table name to a functon, and a SELECT statement will be returned with all the column names, thus eliminating the need for do a SELECT *........   CURSOR tab_cols IS
    SELECT column_name
    FROM dba_tab_columns
    WHERE table_name = 'RECRUIT';

BEGIN
   FOR v_tab_cols IN tab_cols LOOP

      IF v_sql IS NULL THEN
         v_sql := v_tab_cols.column_name;
      ELSE
         v_sql := v_sql || ', ' || v_tab_cols.column_name;
      END IF;

   END LOOP; Ok great, now they have the select statement, I'm not sure how it can be used in PLSQL. I mean, if you use it in a CURSOR or an EXECUTE IMMEDIATE, do you not need an INTO clause??

Just looking for some ideas here.....

Thanks in advance. Received on Mon Jul 10 2006 - 10:20:17 CDT