Re: From M$ to Linux and VB 6

From: Malcolm Dew-Jones <yf110_at_vtn1.victoria.tc.ca>
Date: 29 Jun 2006 11:29:43 -0800

innerjoin (ct.sixty.six_at_gmail.com) wrote:
: What the problem was is the locktype in the ado syntax was
: adLockOptimistic and it was throwing the tablename.rowid into the sql
: string. Why it didn't add the new column into the group by clause I'll
: never know. So I switched the locktype to adLockReadOnly

  ^^^^^

: and the extra rowid column was removed and the query stopped failing.

"never" how about now.

The rowid is specific to each row in the table. If you included it in the group by then every "group" would consist of just the single row that has each rowid.

Including the rowid to target each row individually make senses if (for example) you have a form that edits each row, but it makes no sense in a query with a group by.

It appears to be the programmers responsibility here to choose options that are compatible with the queries being run. Received on Thu Jun 29 2006 - 14:29:43 CDT