Re: Oracle 10g security. Using certificates?

From: <nkunkov_at_escholar.com>
Date: 29 Jun 2006 05:54:07 -0700

Vladimir M. Zakharychev wrote:
> nkunkov_at_escholar.com wrote:
> > Vladimir M. Zakharychev wrote:
> > >
> > > If you run 10g Release 2 (10.2,) you will find that it supports
> > > transparent data encryption and stores the key out of line
> > > in a wallet. So search the docs for TDA and google this
> > > group for some discussions about it.
> > >
> > > Other than that, I don't think that Oracle has any PKI API
> > > exposed to PL/SQL developers for immediate use. You can
> > > try Java for this. You can also store your keys outside the
> > > database and read them using BFILEs or UTL_FILE,
> > > and optionally encrypt that storage with some fixed, but
> > > not explicitly hard-coded key (for example, one derived from
> > > some immutable constants.)
> > >
> > > Brian Peasland also has a couple of white papers on
> > > key security in Oracle at http://www.peasland.net, which
> > > you may find helpful.
> > >
> > > Hth,
> > > Vladimir M. Zakharychev
> > > N-Networks, makers of Dynamic PSP(tm)
> > > http://www.dynamicpsp.com
> >

> > Vladimir,
> > Thank you very much. This was actually very helpful.
> > Appreciate it.
> > NK
>
> Just re-read my post and figured I used a wrong acronym
> for transparent data encryption. TDE is the right one. :)
> Sorry for possible confusion.
>
> Regards,
> Vladimir M. Zakharychev
> N-Networks, makers of Dynamic PSP(tm)
> http://www.dynamicpsp.com

Vladimir,
Thanks again. No you didn't confuse me, I figured out the acronym :) I wanted to ask you a few things though. 1. For TDE, I assume that I won't be able to use the DBMS_CRYPTO package anymore? Is that right? Also, I'm looking not to encrypt the fields of the table itself, but encrypt the contents of the materialized views without doing anything with the actual tables. Will TDE work for me or I need to use something else? 2. Do you think code obfuscation could be of help? Should I have an abfuscated function that will return the key? But then the function output will still be readable, right? (I never used obfuscation before, that's why the questions are basic...) 3. If I wanted to store the key in a file, what should I use to encrypt it? Same DBMS_CRYPTO? And when you are saying derive the key from an immutable constant, that constant should also be stored somewhere or known by the users, right? I'm giving this to the third party, it's not an in house product...
Thanks for your help.
I greatly appreciate your answers.
NK Received on Thu Jun 29 2006 - 07:54:07 CDT