Re: From M$ to Linux and VB 6

From: Mark C. Stock <mcstockX_at_Xenquery>
Date: Wed, 28 Jun 2006 16:01:37 -0400

"outerjoin" <chris.taylor_at_dcpfi.com> wrote in message news:1151524592.360899.145480_at_i40g2000cwc.googlegroups.com...
: Undergoing a conversion to Oracle on Linux ( redhat ) and am running
: into a baffling problem. During runtime an ADO query
:
: select col1,sum(col2) from table1 group by col1
:
: is generating a runtime error: invalid group by. I've found in SQL
: Monitor ( Quest freebie ) that the sql string it thinks is going to the
: server is
:
: select col1,sum(col2),col1.rowid from table1 group by col1
:
: Strangest thing is that the same code running against M$ works fine and
: has been
: running for 1+ years.
:
: We are having other issues but this is the problem that has been
: assigned to me.
:
: The application is running on server 2000 on Citrix 1.8 FWIW I'm
: experiencing the same
: problem running from the IDE on my laptop ( XP ), VB 6 SP 6.
:
: Thanks in advance for any help !
:

"select col1,sum(col2),col1.rowid from table1 group by col1" is certainly not valid SQL in oracle -- the error is 100% correct (btw, please include the ORA-xxxxx number next time -- not all errors are so well known to just paraphrase)

find out what's appending the ",col1.rowid " (which appears to be SS specific) and remove that piece of code.

++ mcs Received on Wed Jun 28 2006 - 15:01:37 CDT