Re: Text Compression

From: Kevin Crosbie <caoimhinocrosbai_at_at_yahoo.com>
Date: Wed, 28 Jun 2006 09:55:18 +0200

tabreaz wrote:
> If your ultimate requirement is to compress the table data, then better
> use the following option:

As I mentioned, my ultimate requirement is to see how compressible data is over a moving window, it has nothing to do with actually compressing the data for storage.

I know that I could use a compressed table to do this, having one table where my data is uncompressed and another where my data is compressed and calculating the compression rate. I'm not aware of a reliable way of telling the size of the underlying data in bytes in a table to do this though.

Another consideration against compressed tables is that I would "like to" use a compression algorithm like Lempel-Ziv-Welch, whereas Oracle uses it's own compression technique. Received on Wed Jun 28 2006 - 02:55:18 CDT