Re: Prompting multiples times in PL/SQL??

From: Malcolm Dew-Jones <yf110_at_vtn1.victoria.tc.ca>
Date: 22 Jun 2006 10:53:06 -0800

qazmlp1209_at_rediffmail.com wrote:
: The Table format is as follows:

: SQL> desc MyTEST;
: Name Null? Type
: ----------------------------------------- --------
: ----------------------------
: NAME VARCHAR2(10 CHAR)

: I want to add 10 rows into this Table, with each row containing the
: 'name' that I want to enter.
: The following PL/SQL script does not work:

: ----------
: declare
: i number;
: begin
: for i in 1..10 loop
: insert into MyTEST(name) values ('&name');
: end loop;
: end;

: It prompts for the 'name' only once and the same name figures in all
: the rows. But, I want to be prompted 10 times and each time I want to
: enter different 'name'. How exactly I should adapt the PL/SQL script
: for this?

Did this really take three posts to get posted?

This is a single block of code. sql*plus doesn't run it ten times, in fact sql*plus doesn't run it at all, ever. sql*plus simply gathers together the text of the block. It does that just once as it reads it. To finalize the text of the block it needs the &name value so it asks for it.

Then it sends the complete, finalized block to the server, which runs it (just once, though that "one run" includes a loop with ten iterations). Received on Thu Jun 22 2006 - 13:53:06 CDT