Re: Oracle and Java 1.5

From: Vladimir M. Zakharychev <bob--nospam--_at_dynamicpsp.com>
Date: Tue, 20 Jun 2006 15:04:39 +0400

"Paul Foerster" <paul.foerster_at_gmx.net> wrote in message news:4fpqikF1k95inU1_at_individual.net...
> Hi,
>
> ... Houston, we have a problem... ;-)
>
> I have to load Java byte code into an Oracle 10g database for execution. I
> created the usual "hello world" example in Java, compiled it into a .jar
> file and ran that from the command line. This worked fine. Trying to
> loadjava the compiled byte code into the database failed. This is with
> Java
> 1.5.
>
> Everything works fine with Java 1.4! This is what Oracle uses.
>
> But I need to be able to load Java 1.5 compiled byte code into the
> database.
> After all, this is not about "hello world". ;-)
>
> Can somebody please tell me whether this is possible at all, and if so,
> what
> I will have to do to the database to make it work with Java 1.5?
>
> I'm a DBA and no Java guru, so if you're referring to Java specific terms,
> please use plain English and not too much Java terminology. ;-) I'm even
> proud to have managed to create a good working .jar file. :-)))
>
> Sorry for the x-post but this is an urgend issue here, and I'm also not
> sure
> if I'm in the right group(s).

You can't load 1.5 bytecode into Oracle until Oracle VM is upgraded to 1.5 (which may not happen until next release, which is not in sight yet.) Have you tried compiling for 1.4 VM target (javac -target 1.4)? Do you use any specific Java 5 features that you can't live without?

--
   Vladimir M. Zakharychev
   N-Networks, makers of Dynamic PSP(tm)