Re: Linux based Oracle GUI Tools?

From: David Bailey <Newsgroups_at_bailey.id.au>
Date: Sun, 18 Jun 2006 17:20:42 +1000

On Sat, 17 Jun 2006 17:31:34 +0000, Charles Tryon wrote:

> One of the last remaining reasons why I need to keep around a Windows
> box is that I have not yet been able to find any good GUI based
> development tools (IDE) for Oracle which run under Linux. This seems
> curious, since so much of the SERVER side support from Oracle is focused
> on Linux. I currently use both Toad (FreeToad)

I use TORA (Toolkit for Oracle). I believe it is used as part of the TOAD base as well. This is what I do virtually all my Oracle work in, the rest is done in Enterprise Manager (see below).

I believe you can run the JDeveloper in Linux (I don't). I belive it has many of the features that PLSQL developer does (I don't use that either, so I don't know for sure).

I can run Oracle forms developer on my Linux box.

The Oracle Enterprise Manager (the Java client side one, not the HTML server side one - stupid idea having 2 different products with the same name) works fine under Linux (it's part of the Linux client tools package)

Yes, Tora can browse / edit stored procedures etc (as well as virtually any other Oracle object). So can the Enterprise Manager.

>and PLSQL Developer on Windows. I've
> tried running both of those under WINE, and have not had much success.
> OpenOffice.org gives me very simple access to data in an Oracle
> database, but no real development tools (editors for stored procedures
> and such).
>
> I am wondering if (1) other people have been able to run either of these
> two Windows tools under WINE, or (2) if there are other recommendations
> for a decent IDE for Oracle development which runs natively under Linux.
> (I am currently running Fedora Core 5.)

You can install TORA via Yum, but from previous experience their versions were set up to work with MySQL, PostgreSQL, Linux ODBC databases, but not Oracle. I have seen versions that explicitly say they have been compiled with Oracle, but I tend to compile my own. It's pretty simple.

First install the Oracle Client (download from Oracle's site) Then:
Download Tora from tora.sourceforge.net

	./configure --without-kde
	make
	make install

For some reason if you configure with KDE (the default), it won't log in properly to the Oracle databases (on version 1.3.16 at least. Don't know about current versions. I still compile that way anyhow). Don't worry, it still works fine under KDE with that switch set.

NB. I use a few other configure switches for my systems, but they are only personal preferences and explicitly telling it where various development libraries live (on my SuSE box).