Re: Oracle outer join syntax (+) not working???

From: David Portas <REMOVE_BEFORE_REPLYING_dportas_at_acm.org>
Date: 16 Jun 2006 09:11:55 -0700

DA Morgan wrote:

> No change has been made to Oracle with respect to the ISO syntax.
> The syntax error is yours.
>
> e.proficiencylevelid(+) = h.proficiencylevelid
>
> would be correct.

What ISO syntax? You mean www.iso.org? The example you gave is proprietary and has nothing to do with standards - not ISO's nor anyone else's but Oracle's AFAIK. I mention this because your website also seems to say that the (+) syntax is ISO (you have some examples of those joins in a section that is titled "ISO").

As far as joins are concerned I know of no difference between the ANSI and ISO syntaxes - not in the ANSI / ISO documents I have (89,92,1999,2003). Outer joins were not standardized until SQL92 when the INNER / OUTER / FULL / CROSS JOIN syntax was defined. Oracle didn't adopt that standard until much later (2001?).

The following site has some good material on the history of SQL Standards.
http://www.wiscorp.com/SQLStandards.html

--
David Portas