Oracle outer join syntax (+) not working???

From: <chilecayenne_at_yahoo.com>
Date: 14 Jun 2006 14:47:24 -0700

Again...I'm rusty, and have no documentation around...probably a stupid question.

I'm trying to join on a field that has some null values using (+), but, oracle doesn't seem to recognize this anymore. I'm on Oracle 9.2.0.6.

I've been looking up, an seeing that there is a new way to do an outter join, but, most examples I see only are using 2 tables and a couple of fields, I can't figure how to use this on a large multi-table join where lots of fields are being selected. Can someone help me with an example of point to a good link somewhere?

Here's what I'm trying to do:

select a.name, a.projectid, b.title another_title, c.trainingrequirement, d.title need_title, d.description some_need_description, NVL(f.catalognumber,'NULL Catalog Number') catalognumber, f.courseid, f.title course_title, NVL (h.proficiencylevel,'NULL Proficiency Level') proficiency, h.proficiencylevelid, e.candidatecourseid, e.notes team_lead_notes from table1 a, table2 b, table3 c, table4 d, table5 e, table6 f, table7 h
where a.categorytemplateid = b.categorytemplateid

and a.projectid = c.projectid
and c.trainingneedid = d.trainingneedid
and c.projecttrainingneedid = e.projecttrainingneedid
and e.courseid = f.courseid

and (+) e.proficiencylevelid = h.proficiencylevelid and upper(a.projectname) like '%SOMESTUDY%' and f.courseid in (6740,2035)
order by a.projectname, c.trainingrequirement, f.title

This keeps freaking out on me when it hits the (+) sign...did they throw out this functionality? I can't figure how to do the new one from what I've found so far on the web...and I've got no documentation handy due to losses from Katrina.

Thanks in advance,

chilecayenne Received on Wed Jun 14 2006 - 16:47:24 CDT