Min length of DBMS_CRYPTO.encrypt output

From: <nkunkov_at_escholar.com>
Date: 14 Jun 2006 05:50:33 -0700

Hi,
I'm working with Oracle 10G and using DBMS_CRYPTO.ENCRYPT_AES256 to encrypt some values.
There are two values that I'm encrypting: Number(32) and Varchar(12). These values will be displayed as part of the materialized view, and I need to limit the length of a column. I can't have it as varchar2(2000), I need some manageable length. I also have to store the encrypted values in a table and I don't want to make the column varchar2(2000) (since crypto returns raw(2000)). I'm wondering how can I "guess" the length of my output string so it can be used in a materialized view and to properly create the table to hold it. What does it depend upon? Will varchar(200) be enough? I'm using 256 bit encryption key.
Your help is appreciated.
NK Received on Wed Jun 14 2006 - 07:50:33 CDT