Re: password encryption

From: Mark D Powell <Mark.Powell_at_eds.com>
Date: 9 Jun 2006 06:51:20 -0700

Andreas Moroder wrote:
> Hello,
>
> what encrypton method is use to store the oracle passwords ?
> In need to know it because we would like to sync our openldap and oracle
> passwords.
>

> Bye
> Andreas

If you are referring to the interal database storage of passwords then the password is not encrypted; it is hashed. A paper has been published on how to break the Oracle hash, but I do not think the approximate 20 day average time to crack the hash will work for your purposes..

Oracle supports the use of external passwords (Kebros and other tools) via its Advanced Security Option.

You might be able to setup and use LDAP without this option but I have not studied the issue closely enough to know if you have to use Oracle's LDAP to do it or not.

HTH -- Mark D Powell -- Received on Fri Jun 09 2006 - 08:51:20 CDT