How to compare two ALMOST identical tables...

From: <derek.google_at_grog.net>
Date: 7 Jun 2006 16:35:58 -0700

I have two tables that are almost identical. The second table is exactly the same as the first only it has extra columns:

  Table1: A, B, C
  Table2: A, B, C, D, E

I would like to compare these tables for equality (kind of like MINUS), only I want to ignore columns D and E in Table2. That is, I only want to compare columns that exist in both tables (i.e, A, B, C).

And I can't simply list the columns I do want (i.e., A, B, C) or create views because this procedure must be general enough to run on scores of table pairs in a very large database.

Any hints appreciated on what a general PL/SQL solution might look like.

Derek Received on Wed Jun 07 2006 - 18:35:58 CDT