Re: Slight "I have some string, how lng it it, BTW, it's blue" question

From: Andrew <andrewgothard_at_Nospamthanks.com>
Date: Wed, 07 Jun 2006 23:17:47 GMT

"Brian Peasland" <oracle_dba_at_nospam.peasland.net> wrote in message news:J0HwM2.Lx3_at_igsrsparc2.er.usgs.gov...
> Basically, the rule of thumb I use is if it can be done with SQL
> statements, do it in SQL. If not, then use PL/SQL.
>
> If you use a view and query from the view, you are using a SQL solution.
> Using cursors to do your join will usually be slower than doing it with
> a well-formed SQL statement.
>
> Cursors are not the fastest mechanism if you are using PL/SQL. Array
> processing is much faster. Daniel Morgan has posted some examples here:
>
> http://www.psoug.org/reference/bulk_collect.html
>

> HTH,
> Brian

that the Daniel Morgan who posts the Infrmix ng? But - thanks for the help - thought it was an odd way to go - using cursors for everything - just thought I was going mad or missing the point. But like you said - and is actually mentioned in the manuals, once I fvound it -every cursor query is translated into a series of relational queries anyway/
Plus - it seems - you lose all the juicy parallesmabvailable if you fail to structyue things proprtly Received on Wed Jun 07 2006 - 18:17:47 CDT