Re: Invalid directory path / service name

From: Sybrand Bakker <postbus_at_sybrandb.demon.nl>
Date: Tue, 06 Jun 2006 13:07:12 +0200

On 6 Jun 2006 03:11:17 -0700, diego.carpintero_at_eu.dendrite.com wrote:

>This question is for Oracle 8i.
>
>Well, I am facing a "Invalid directory path" problem.
>
>The steps I did on the >>server<< are:
>
>1) I wrote a procedure that uses the utl_file package
>2) I set the parameter UTL_FILE_DIR = <directory name>
>3) I restarted the database
>
>The error I am getting on the >>client<< is:
>"ORA-29280: invalid directory path"
>
>I have the feeling it could be a problem with the Service Name
>I am using.
>
>it is possible to assign permissions to a Service Name??
>any suggestions?
>
>Thanks in advance

Please do not multipost.

Question: did you verify the directory path? Question: did you run the stored procedure when you got the error on the client? Where do you think the stored procedure runs? Did you look up the error in the Oracle Server messages manual? What does it say?
Why do you think it has something to do with the Service *name*? Are you running Oracle on the server as local administratror, using the SYSTEM account. This is the only correct method., It will also give you all privileges on all files on that server.

--
Sybrand Bakker, Senior Oracle DBA