Re: Extracting data from dmp file - no Oracle instance

From: Brian Peasland <oracle_dba_at_nospam.peasland.net>
Date: Mon, 5 Jun 2006 17:54:58 GMT

Scott Hoffman wrote:
> I have a one-time need to extract data from an Oracle .dmp file that was
> given to me. I found the NXTract utility, but it does not handle CLOB
> datatypes. Short of downloading, installing, and configuring the
> development version of Oracle, is there a way to extract the data from
> this file? My first preference would be to go to MS-Access, but I could
> deal with ASCII.
>
> Thanks,
>
> Scott

Chances are that the dump file you were given was created with Oracle's export utility. The tool for getting data out of this dump file is Oracle's import utility. You might have imp in your local client install. If not, you can FTP the dump file (in BINARY mode) to your database server and import the data there. You'll need to import this into a database. If you do not have a database up and running, you'll need to create one.

HTH,
Brian

Brian Peasland
oracle_dba_at_nospam.peasland.net