Re: Bring back non Characters

From: Mark C. Stock <mcstockX_at_Xenquery>
Date: Fri, 2 Jun 2006 12:28:04 -0400

"PW" <wupeiyi2_at_hotmail.com> wrote in message news:1149265067.329173.170810_at_y43g2000cwc.googlegroups.com...
: Hi Experts,
: I am trying to bring back a couple million records that have a field
: SURNAME.
: But some of them are obviously not surnames(e.g. numbers, dates, other
: stuff).
: Does anyone know how I can bring back the ones that don't start with a
: character(alpha)?
:
: Thanks,
: Peiyi
:

depends to a degree on your version of oracle

you've got trim, replace, translate, instr, substr functions, case and regular expressions that can use to implement your algorithm

++ mcs Received on Fri Jun 02 2006 - 11:28:04 CDT