Re: French characters

From: Frank van Bortel <frank.van.bortel_at_gmail.com>
Date: Mon, 15 May 2006 20:49:43 +0200

Alt255 schreef:
> Sorry Frank I don't exactly understand,
> should I try:
> select dump(srsk_frch_dsc),srsk_frch_dsc from wh_srsk;

Yup.

> Typ=1 Len=16:
> 77,111,100,233,114,233,109,101,110,116,32,233,108,101,118,233 Modiriment
> ilevi
> The Records with the problem have the work Modiriment ilevi and Ilevi.
> They should be Modérément élevé and Élevé respectively

Well, the database has some extended characters...

77  - M (0x4D)
111 - o (0x6F)
100 - d (0x64)
233 - ? (0xE9)

As the first three characters are all in the range, below 0x80 (or 128), they are defined in the standard ASCII table. Most fonts will map that to the same graphic representation, being Mod (however: not all fonts will do that - think Windings...).

The situation for codes, higher than 0x7F fall in the "extended ASCII set", for which there is not standard... Your current from end maps 0xE9 to i (0x069). i = 0x69 = 01101001
é = 0xE9 = 11101001

See the pattern? You loose your MSB; you do character conversion! Set all to US7ASCII, and you have no conversion!

Then, take a front end, that actually can display the special characters; this email client can, so I can cut-n-paste 2 sessions:

SQL> select chr(233) from dual;
-

SQL> select chr(233) from dual;
-

Both were done against the same database; both were done from a MS Windows client:
the upper is a terminal emulator, that supports UTF-8 (and thus extended characters), the lower is the Command Line Interface, that uses Fixed System font.
Change the font to Lucinda, and the active code page to 1252, (chcp 1252) and a new session in the CLI will show the é correctly.

--
Regards,
Frank van Bortel

Top-posting is one way to shut me up...