Re: French characters

From: Jim Kennedy <jim>
Date: Sun, 14 May 2006 09:14:18 -0700

"Frank van Bortel" <frank.van.bortel_at_gmail.com> wrote in message news:e47g1d$ra8$2_at_news4.zwoll1.ov.home.nl...
> Sybrand Bakker schreef:
> > On Sat, 13 May 2006 17:57:25 +0200, Frank van Bortel
> > <frank.van.bortel_at_gmail.com> wrote:
> >
> >> The fact you have a front end that inserts and retrieves them
> >> correctly means 2 characters are used in the database, some
> >> other codeing mechanism, or you simply are lucky
> >
> > if the client NLS_LANG is on 7-bit AND the server there is no
> > conversion, so 8 bit characters will be stored.
> > Sometimes stupidity pays.
> >
> > --
> > Sybrand Bakker, Senior Oracle DBA
>
> Only if the db is created with an 8 bit characterset.
> Which -upon reflection- it must be (otherwise, NO extended
> character would ever be shown...).
>
> I stand corrected
> --
> Regards,
> Frank van Bortel
>
> Top-posting is one way to shut me up...

Frank,
If you search metalink you will find an article that says that if the client's character setting and the database's character setting are = then the data will not be checked for character set conversion. So yes you can put an 8 bit character in a 7 bit database. (I have one US7bit ASCII that has 8 bit characters) I know it sounds controdictory, but a certain large European application vendor actually tells their customers to set up their Oracle databases that way. (US 7 bit ASCII) Yes, the recommendation sucks and causes a lot of problem with other systems. However, the large European application vendor doesn't consider that there would be any reason why you should use an outside system. (I think you can guess what the vendor's name is.)
Jim Received on Sun May 14 2006 - 11:14:18 CDT