Re: Oracle 10g and VB6 ADO

From: Jim Kennedy <jim>
Date: Wed, 10 May 2006 06:32:20 -0700

"CollyMitch" <colmjmitchell_at_gmail.com> wrote in message news:1147256377.459005.47340_at_i40g2000cwc.googlegroups.com...
> Hi,
>
> We are upgrading from oracle 8 to oracle 10g. We have about 30 VB6
> applications which connect to our oracle 8 database.
>
> When connecting to Oracle 9 and 10g and the app tries to retrieve a
> recordset (50,000+ records), it seems to load the whole recordset into
> memory (RAM), and then into virtual memory when this fills up. (I can
> show you the system performance graphs.)
>
> I know this is not a VB forum but my code works with oracle 8 and not 9
> or 10 so I think maybe someone here could help.
>
> FYI:
>
> Using ADO2.5 (or 2.8) to connect and the "OraOLEDB.Oracle" provider.
>
> I can post some example code if required.
>
> Thanks,
>
> Colm

Not sure what you want from us. Clearly the application needs to be fixed. It shouldn't retrieve 50K records and cache them on the client. It would be a rare situation where that would be proper and desirable feature. I suspect that the developer did this because they are used to MS SQLServer where reading data can block other readers. So they grab the whole dataset and then disconnect from SQLServer (thus freeing locks). In Oracle there is no knead to do that. (readers don't lock writers) Jim Received on Wed May 10 2006 - 08:32:20 CDT