Re: .Net Reporting against Oracle

From: Larry Dooley <larrydooley_at_yahoo.com>
Date: Sun, 07 May 2006 20:34:03 -0500

"Mr Bob" <bob.trautman_at_gmail.com> wrote in news:1147049785.882576.249440_at_g10g2000cwb.googlegroups.com:

> First of all what version of Oracle are you using?
> Second what jobs are running on Oracle. What are you using to submit
> these "jobs". Are you executing a sql script at a certain time, etc.
> Third - if your on 10g look into DBMS_SCHEDULER.CREATE_PROGRAM CALLS,
> ETC. This will allow you to create program anonymous PL/SQL block,
> stored procedures, or external executable file, Create custom
> schedule and thus create job instance, etc.......
>
> Bob Trautman
> Oracle Certified DBA

We are on 9i but on Solaris. This is .NET so I really need an NT solution. I'd already thought of DBMS JOBS

The real key is using procs for reporting (I've done tons of reporting systems, never used procs always dynamic sql passed to the oracle engine). Procs for OLTP fine I've done enough of those including some .NET. The real issue I see is constructing the dynamic sql and passing the complex parameters into the proc. Sometimes the user sends in one parameter for a particular report. At other times for the same report 3 or 4 will be sent in and one or two of them can be a list of variables.

Got anythoughts on tha Received on Sun May 07 2006 - 20:34:03 CDT