Re: Upgrade Blues

From: Sybrand Bakker <postbus_at_sybrandb.demon.nl>
Date: Thu, 04 May 2006 23:07:35 +0200

On 4 May 2006 13:36:24 -0700, "raghu" <raghu_vnin_at_yahoo.com> wrote:

>Hi,
>
>We are planning an upgrade from 8.1.7 and 9.2.0 to 10gR2. There are few
>databases on Windows NT and few on Solaris. And here are some of my
>apprehensions:
>
>1. Is any characterset not supported on 10gR2?
>2. What is meant by 'encrypted objects'? Is it tough to upgrade them?
>3. By upgrading to 10gR2, are we talking about moving from 32-bit to
>64-bit or vice-versa? How will it impact the upgrade process?
>
>Thanks,
>Raghu

1 several UTF charactersets are deprecated. National characterset now always is an UTF characterset. The change occurred in Oracle 9i, and is documented there.
2 probably wrapped objects
3 This is depending on platform. If you don't switch to a 64-bit version of Windhoos you won't use a 64-bit version of Oracle anyway. On Solaris there probably no longer is a 32-bit version. You don't mention whether you are running 32-bit.
If you are going from 32-bit to 64-bit you will need to use exp/imp to upgrade.
Of course this is also documented.

--
Sybrand Bakker, Senior Oracle DBA