Re: Newbie Question on Upgrade

From: Brian Peasland <oracle_dba_at_nospam.peasland.net>
Date: Thu, 4 May 2006 13:11:46 GMT

raghu wrote:
> We are in a dilemma whether to upgrade our database to Oracle 9i or
> 10gR2. Does it make sense to upgrade to 9i now? What are the factors to
> be considered while deciding between these two?
>
> Thank you.

The biggest factors are the featureset of the version and the support level. I'd go to Oracle 10g for two main reasons....one, the featureset is larger. You can do more with 10g and some of its new automated features make it easier to manage. Two, it will be supported longer than 9i. I guess a third factor for me is...why upgrade to 9i now and then upgrade to 10g later? Why not upgrade straight to 10g and save yourself some work....

Cheers,
Brian

Brian Peasland
oracle_dba_at_nospam.peasland.net