Re: Oracle 10g compared to MS SQL SERVER

From: HansF <News.Hans_at_telus.net>
Date: Thu, 04 May 2006 01:18:56 GMT

On Wed, 03 May 2006 17:43:26 -0700, Mr Bob wrote:

> Hans,
>
> I did catch your comment concerning SQL server folks working with
> Oracle....and the condition that in specific circumstances SQL server is
> faster.....etc....
>
> Can you point me to the studies you refer to showing Oracle easier to
> manager than SQL Server?

http://www.oracle.com/technology/tech/windows/o9i-vs-ss2k-TCO.pdf

Yes, it's dated. So what ... typical marketing tactics mean that you use what is relevant and ignore the parts that are not relevant. Besides, a lot of sites still use both those technologies. And I'm sure both sides have documents and 'independent studies' that prove the upgrades are x% easier to manage.

You do realize that putting any report on the table is simply a political ploy .... either people will agree and not dig, or they will counter-argue. In the latter case they will find hundreds of 'yes-but' situations that invalidate the report. Including, "it's too old; it's too new; too few people use that version; that's not the way we do it here"

You want perhaps things other than public reports that anyone can get simply using a decent search engine? That would fall into the 'benchmark' arena, and it is illegal to publish benchmarks witout the express consent of the vendors.

And, of course, my personal experience is anecdotal - unless there is a solid and verifyable document to support it - and therefore counts for absolutely nothing. As does the PM's.

--
Hans Forbrich
mailto: Fuzzy.GreyBeard_at_gmail.com