Re: Query with contents of text file.

From: gazzag <gareth_at_jamms.org>
Date: 27 Apr 2006 09:34:45 -0700

Brian Peasland wrote:
> Even setting up an external table or creating a SQL*Loader control file
> can seem convoluted to the uninitiated.

Absolutely. But as a contractor DBA I have so often come across Easter Egg-style O/S "hacks" left behind by since-departed administrators that merely replicate functionality that can be provided by the RDBMS. In my view it's better to allow the database to manipulate the data as much as possible to avoid nasty surprises during upgrades or hardware migration, for example. Received on Thu Apr 27 2006 - 11:34:45 CDT