Re: app start up with oracle

From: Brian Peasland <oracle_dba_at_nospam.peasland.net>
Date: Thu, 27 Apr 2006 15:26:36 GMT

> I'm writing an app that will be a simple server communicating with my
> pl/sql procedures via tcp/ip (utl_tcp package). How can I cause the app
> to start up along with the Oracle after e.g. machine reboot?

I'm going to assume that you can start your app with some sort of command line utility. Even in Windows, you can start a service with 'net start service_name'. Once you know how to start your app from the command line, create a Java Stored Procedure to envoke this routine. You are not limited to a Java Stored Procedure as you can use external procedure calls too. That lets you start the app from within the database. Once that is set up, create an AFTER STARTUP trigger to envoke the routine you called. Once the database starts up, the trigger is fired and your app is started.

HTH,
Brian

Brian Peasland
oracle_dba_at_nospam.peasland.net