Re: Storing large numbers, NUMBER datatype questions

From: <tadamsmar_at_yahoo.com>
Date: 26 Apr 2006 05:03:28 -0700

Frank van Bortel wrote:
> tadamsmar_at_yahoo.com wrote:
> > We are running into large numbers needing to be stored in some columns.
> >
> > Does increasing the precision of a NUMBER increase the storage size?
> >
> > What are the consequences of using NUMBER without precision or scale?
> >
> Define large.

Looks like we increase the datatype to Number(18,6) from Number(14,6) in one field of one table.

The administrator said she ran out of space after doing this but I think it must have been a coincidence. I did some research and came to the conclusion that increasing the size should have little impact on the space utilization. If you store a larger nunber then it increases the storage requirements for that particular value.

We don't get a lot of the larger values but we need to be able to address them.