Oracle not accessible via lan

From: <gd6502_at_eudoramail.com>
Date: 21 Apr 2006 00:31:36 -0700

I have a machine server (win 2000 pro) on which are installed Oracle 9i server and IIS server; on IIS there is a web application, written in ASP, that use the Oracle db. ASP runs server side, so I think that clients accessing the application through their browsers, does not need anything installed on. The Oracle client should have been installed on the server machine instead, because is IIS that send all the commands to the DB. Is this correct?

If this is correct, I need to know details about what to install and what to configure on the server. So, I've installed the Oracle client component on the server, and set through "Configuration Net Assistant" the "name of the service of local net".
Now if I start ASP application from the server's browser, all runs correctly; trying instead from others pc, lan connected, Oracle doesn't answer and gives back this error:
OraOleDB error ' 80004005 '
ORA-12154: TNS: can't resolve the service name

I believe it depends on some configuration of the server, but I can't understand what is different in the browser request from the server and the client; is always IIS that sends the request to the db. Or not?

Thanks for the aid
Peppe Received on Fri Apr 21 2006 - 02:31:36 CDT