Re: Anybody?

From: DA Morgan <damorgan_at_psoug.org>
Date: Mon, 17 Apr 2006 08:53:09 -0700

Dereck L. Dietz wrote:
> "DA Morgan" <damorgan_at_psoug.org> wrote in message

>> Dereck L. Dietz wrote:
>>> Is there anybody who will try to help me with this problem?  I'm at a
>>> complete loss at to why forms is requiring at least one batting record

>>> exist while it does not require at least one pitching record to exist

> when I
>>> have both blocks set up the same way with the only differences being the
>>> table they are based on.
>> Glad to help you.
>>
>> What version of Forms?

> Forms [32 Bit] Version 6.0.8.11.3
>
>> How many data blocks in the form?

> Five (5) in total
> 1 - PLAYER
> 2 - BATTING
> 3 - PITCHING
> 4 - BIO
> 5 - TOOLBAR
>
>> How are they related?

> 1 - PLAYER is used to enter the player first and last name. It then checks
> the PLAYER table and, if a match is found, retrieves the Player_ID field
> into PLAYER.KEY_PLAYER_ID and also the values which are contained in the BIO
> block. If no match is found a new Player_ID (which is merely a sequence) is
> generated. The cursor is then placed in the BATTING block.
>
> 2 - BATTING is used to enter batting information and populate the Batting
> table. Information is retrieved by a block level WHERE clause defined in
> the block property pallette. The data is related to the PLAYER block with
> BATTING.PLAYER_ID = PLAYER.KEY_PLAYER_ID
>
> 3 - PITCHING is used to enter pitching information and populate the Pitching
> table. Information is retrieved by a block level WHERE clause defined in
> the block property pallette. The data is related to the PLAYER block with
> PITCHING.PLAYER_ID = PLAYER.KEY_PLAYER_ID
>
> 4 - BIO is used to enter biographical information and populate the Player
> table. This block is loaded when a PLAYER_ID is found.
>
> 5 - TOOLBAR. This block is simply a control block with icons for such
> actions as save, exit, clear screen etc.

Thanks for trying to provide the information but I can see I was very unclear in what I asked for. What I mean by the relationship between the blocks was the following (following instructions based on version so your path may vary):

Open the form in Form Builder
Click on DATA BLOCKS
Click on the first block
Click on Relations
Double click on the first relationship
Click on Join Condition in the Property Palette Copy the contents. That is how the Form thinks the blocks are related.

To cut to the chase the problem most likely (not definitely) comes from the nature of the relationships between the blocks OR from a trigger that is modifying one of the blocks when the form is opened or the block becomes the current block.

--
Daniel A. Morgan
http://www.psoug.org