Re: Table join expertise needed badly

From: Mark C. Stock <mcstockX_at_Xenquery>
Date: Fri, 14 Apr 2006 13:15:29 -0400

"Brian L" <brilarso_at_gmail.com> wrote in message news:1145034638.494116.297410_at_v46g2000cwv.googlegroups.com...
: Hi there,
:
: I have about 20 tables that I need to join together and I need help on
: a strategy. I can ultimately tie all the table back to one base table.
:
: My other option is to to join 10 tables together and then the other 10
: together and have those hook together through 1 base table in each
: group.
:
: What is the bast way for performace? My instinct tells me I should
: hook everything to the one table but I have no proof to support that.
:
: Any suggestions on whether to chain tables together or to use 1
: anchor??
:
: Thanks,
:
: -Brian
:

i'd start with the PK-FK joins (assuming the tables have PKs and FKs), then examine the plan and go from there

++ mcs Received on Fri Apr 14 2006 - 12:15:29 CDT