Re: stop chugging hard drive

From: DA Morgan <damorgan_at_psoug.org>
Date: Wed, 12 Apr 2006 20:22:20 -0700

Jack wrote:

> "DA Morgan" <damorgan_at_psoug.org> wrote in message
>> Jack wrote:

>>> Hi,
>>>
>>> I have installed 10g with the default options and the hard drive is now
>>> continually chugging away in my ear even when no database transactions
>>> are
>>> active - which is getting on my nerves.
>>>
>>> I had set the DB up previously and I had turned off rollback segments or
>>> redo logs - something like that I can't remember - and the drive only
>>> activated when the DB was actually processing transactions..
>>>
>>> Cna anyone remind me what I must do to the DB to stop the continual disk
>>> access?
>>>
>>> PS foolproof DB data recovery is not necessary.
>> Which version and edition of 10g?
>> On what hardware
>> With what operating system
>> With what size swap file
>> And how much RAM?
>
> I dont think any of those facts are relevant.

I would respectfully disagree but since you are no longer asking for our help that's fine.

> Re software options I said I set up with default options.

Which means precisely nothing with respect to your current issue.

> If you can tell me any differences between the 10g versions regarding my > issue I will personally give you a tufty badge.

I can't without looking some things up at metalink. But since you've chosen not to accept help you get to do it yourself.

> I'll work it out myself and let you know what to change for future > reference.

Precisely.

--
Daniel A. Morgan
http://www.psoug.org