Re: Change in start/end of daylight period

From: Vladimir M. Zakharychev <vladimir.zakharychev_at_gmail.com>
Date: 7 Apr 2006 13:30:47 -0700

>So, if the real definitions change (as per extending the period for
>daylight saving time), then we will need to change the dictionary
>definition, right ?

Well, kind of, though these changes are standardized way ahead of their time, so usually they are in the dictionaries a long time before they are in effect. However, take recent Australian DST changes and US EPA'05 DST changes for instance (actually, I believe you are referring to them.) All OS vendors released patches to fix transition dates for these laws. Oracle must've issued patches, too, though I'm not aware of them since my country is not affected. :) However, as I said earlier, DATEs are not really affected by these changes as they are not aware of time zones and daylight savings.

Anyway, these fixes are usually incorporated into patchsets and, sometimes, into one-offs, so simply keeping your Oracle databases at current patch levels should take care of this issue. If you are still concerned, open an SR with Oracle Support and ask them for clarification.

Hth,

    Vladimir M. Zakharychev
    N-Networks, makers of Dynamic PSP(tm)     http://www.dynamicpsp.com Received on Fri Apr 07 2006 - 15:30:47 CDT