Re: User managed backup files and undo tablespace

From: Sybrand Bakker <postbus_at_sybrandb.demon.nl>
Date: Fri, 07 Apr 2006 17:28:44 +0200

On Fri, 07 Apr 2006 16:48:33 +0200, Joachim Hofmann <speicher_at_freenet.de> wrote:

>Hello,
>
>I have a database, which is backed up (as yet) in the user managed way,
>resulting in having a couple of datafiles and an increasing amount of archived
>log files.
>
>Question: is the *undo tablespace (file)* also necessary for a a restore of the
>database? I am asking because it is one of the bigges files in the set of datafiles.
>
>[9i]
>
>Thank You
>
>Joachim

Verify for yourself the contents and the purpose of the undo tablespace and why you need it in the event of a crash. This will answer your question.
If you don't backup it, you will find yourself searching for a new job.
In a proper backup scenario (ie using RMAN) you can delete archivelogs once they have been backupped.

--
Sybrand Bakker, Senior Oracle DBA