Re: Definition of 'shape'

From: Brian Peasland <oracle_dba_at_nospam.peasland.net>
Date: Fri, 7 Apr 2006 15:10:22 GMT

Geoff wrote:
> Very odd that the word shape is used so much in the db world but the vendors
> do not use it and it is not in the glossary of any oracle document. One
> person said 'shape' can't be defined. Like I said, very strange that a word
> that can't be defined is used so much in oracle app code. Java even has a
> 'getHostVarShape' method.
>
> What is the definition of 'shape'?

The only time I've seen "shape" used as a term, relating to database, has to do with spatial data. Spatial data are points, lines, or polygons that also have other attributes. Oracle's solution for spatial data is to employ Oracle Spatial. The largest vendor in the world for spatial software, ESRI, has their own products for implementing spatial data in the database. There are other vendors as well.

HTH,
Brian

Brian Peasland
oracle_dba_at_nospam.peasland.net