Re: Can't connect MS Access to 8i

From: ANC <anc_at_not_to_beadams-blake.not_tobe.com>
Date: Thu, 06 Apr 2006 13:49:28 GMT

Geoff Muldoon wrote:

> I recommend getting rid of the Microsoft Driver for Oracle and use the
> Oracle ODBC Driver for Windows, I find it more stable.

Once I find out exact version of 8i they run I will install the ODBC driver from the Oracle website. There are about a zillion versions of 8i and there is an ODBC for each of them.

> SQL*Net/Net8 is the proprietary comms protocol Oracle uses to communicate
> between servers and clients.

Well, this is a pretty obscure piece of software as it is not listed on the Oracle site as one of their supported products. Maybe it is embedded in some other client software?

I talked to the DBA at the datacenter and he said no one has ever tried to front-end Oracle with Access but he was sure that 8i (on his end) had all the necessary parts. It was the front-end that he did not know.

The desktop machine I'm working on has Developer 6.0 so I assume it has any necessary client programs as it can obviously hit the database.

Sorry about not posting the error number. I didn't write it down. I'll try it again today after I load the ODBC driver.

FYI I come from a SQL-Server on MS and MySQL on Linux background. Oracle is new to me so I appreciate the help. You ask I want to why front-end with Access? The 8i reporting tools in Developer 6.0 that they have are lame compared to Access and they need some complex reports ASAP. I told them I can do them but only if I have a modern report tool like Access or Crystal, etc. (I also told them to upgrade to 9i or 10g... and they are considering it.

Thanks guys, I'll be back.
Al Received on Thu Apr 06 2006 - 08:49:28 CDT