Can't connect MS Access to 8i

From: ANC <anc_at_not_to_beadams-blake.not_tobe.com>
Date: Thu, 06 Apr 2006 05:54:11 GMT

I'm not an Oracle expert but I do know a bit about ODBC. I'm trying to link to an Oracle 8i table. I built the DSN using the Microsoft Driver for Oracle. I have a valid user/pass/server... but I get some obscure TNS error that I looked up and told me nothing (I forget the number... it's a common one.)

Do I need to have the Oracle ODBC driver on my WinXP machine? I looked at a million postings and sites on the web about connecting to Oracle and I can't figure out if I need this. (I know it's free and on the Oracle site.)

Also, what is/was SQL*Net which became Net8 later on? Do I need that too?

Thanks,

Al Received on Thu Apr 06 2006 - 00:54:11 CDT