Re: Problems installing Oracle products. PATH variable too long?

From: DA Morgan <damorgan_at_psoug.org>
Date: Wed, 05 Apr 2006 11:20:33 -0700

ginolard_at_gmail.com wrote:
> Thanks for the replies but I'm afraid it doesn't help a great deal.
> The problem is that we have quite a lot of Oracle products (BI Tools,
> Warehouse Builder, Designer, Jdeveloper etc) and each of these products
> add their own entries to the PATH variable. Each product is packaged
> for silent installation via our Altiris software distribution system so
> it's not like I can manually change the path for each machine that
> receives the product (that would be over 200 machines!).
>
> I don't MIND the path being longer but I don't understand why there's
> this limitation of 1023 characters.
>
> XP SP2 increases the length of the PATH variable to 2048 chars, that's
> all.

You have less on your machine than I have on mine. FAR LESS!

And XP SP2 does NOT do what you claim. I have XP SP2 on my machine. I have the database. I have the entire Developer Suite including JDeveloper. I have Oracle and other products you've likely never even heard of. My path is far less than 1000 characters.

Instead of telling us what you can't do ... copy the path into a post and show it to us.

--
Daniel A. Morgan
http://www.psoug.org