Re: Problems installing Oracle products. PATH variable too long?

From: DA Morgan <damorgan_at_psoug.org>
Date: Tue, 04 Apr 2006 09:24:40 -0700

ginolard_at_gmail.com wrote:
> I'm having a lot of trouble distributing Oracle Warehouse Builder to
> some machines that already have several Oracle products already
> installed. The problem is that the installer exits and, in the Silent
> Install log, there's the message that the PATH variable is longer than
> 1023 characters.
>
> Now, I know that XP SP2 (which we are running) increased the size of
> the PATH variable to 2048 characters so this must be a limitation of
> the Universal Installer. Is there any way round this? The only
> solution I've found so far is to create new variables for things like
> C:\Program Files\Oracle and then use those variables in the PATH.
>
> This isn't really a good solution as we want to package and distribute
> Warehouse Builder silently.

I have a Windows XP SP2 machine currently hosting the Oracle 10gR2 database, Internet Developer Suite, the Companion Disk products, and OWB and have no problem whatsoever.

The path length is far less than 800 characters so I've no idea where you've gotten the idea that XP increases the size of the path variable. Open a command window and type PATH. Post what you get. Does it contain duplications?

--
Daniel A. Morgan
http://www.psoug.org