Command file and input truncation and some other things

From: Eric Lilja <mindcooler_at_gmail.com>
Date: 28 Mar 2006 08:29:19 -0800

Hello, I have written this command file: $ cat create_manager_table.sql
-- TODO: Check if manager table exists already and, if so, prompt

--DBMS_OUTPUT.PUTLINE('Test');

ALTER TABLE employee

   DROP CONSTRAINT fk_emp_mgr;

ALTER TABLE dept

   DROP CONSTRAINT fk_dept_employee;

CREATE TABLE manager

   (key INTEGER NOT NULL,
    bonus INTEGER DEFAULT 0 NOT NULL,
    PRIMARY KEY(key),
    FOREIGN KEY(key) REFERENCES employee(key)    );

INSERT INTO manager(key)

   ((SELECT DISTINCT manager
   FROM employee
   WHERE manager IS NOT NULL)
   UNION
   (SELECT DISTINCT manager
   FROM dept));

ALTER TABLE dept

   ADD CONSTRAINT fk_dept_manager

      FOREIGN KEY(manager)
      REFERENCES manager(key);

UPDATE manager

   SET bonus=(bonus + 10000)
   WHERE key IN (

      SELECT manager FROM dept
   );

When I run it, the following output is generated: SQL> @ create_manager_table.sql

Table altered.

Table altered.

Table created.

12 rows created.

Table altered.

Table altered.

Input truncated to 5 characters

11 rows updated.

SQL> What exactly is Oracle complaining about regarding the message about input truncation and how do I fix it? And any ideas how I should implement the comment at the top the command file (check if a table already exists before proceeding). And how do I print out arbitrary text in the command file?

/ E Received on Tue Mar 28 2006 - 10:29:19 CST